What Should I Do if I Lost My Green Card?

green card

Obtaining lawful permanent residence in the United States is the ultimate goal for many foreign nationals. Lawful permanent residence, also known as a green card, represents physical evidence of an individual’s authorization to reside and work in the U.S. It’s also a fundamental document required for re-entry into the U.S. after international travel. If you’ve lost your green card, there’s no need to panic, as an experienced Middlesex County, New Jersey, Green Card Lawyer can help you take the necessary steps to replace it. 

How do I replace a green card?

If your green card is lost, stolen, or damaged, to replace or renew it, you must file Form I-90, Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card, provide supporting documentation, and pay the filing fee. Under the law, those granted permanent residence must always have a valid, unexpired green card. It’s crucial to note that you must be physically present in the U.S. to replace your green card. If you’re outside of the U.S., you must file Form I-131A, Application for Carrier Documentation, to obtain temporary travel documentation to return to the U.S. After your green card replacement application is approved, you will receive your new green card by mail.

How much does it take to renew my green card?

Generally, the standard green card replacement fee is $455, alongside an additional $85 for biometric services, resulting in a total of $540.  In some cases, applicants must pay the filing fee or be ordered to pay the biometrics fee only.

How long does it take to get a new one?

If you recall the amount of time it took to obtain your green card in the first place, you may be concerned about how long it will take to get a replacement. Fortunately, this process is shorter than the initial one. However, it can still be a slow process.

If you filed Form I-90 but need temporary proof of your status as a green card holder, you can schedule an appointment at a USCIS office to obtain an “Alien Documentation Identification & Telecommunications (ADIT)” stamp on your passport. This stamp can be used as a temporary green card.

What happens if my application is denied?

Unfortunately, USCIS may deny your green card replacement application for various reasons. For instance, they may deny your application if you intentionally provided false information or have a deportation order. While you can’t appeal this decision, you can file a motion requesting USCIS to reconsider their decision. To do this, you must file Form I-290B, “Notice of the Appeal or Motion,” within 30 days of the initial decision. It’s crucial to note this requires a $675 filing fee. However, you can request a fee waiver if you face extreme financial hardship.

If you need to replace your green card, please get in touch with a determined lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC, who can help you through each phase of the process ahead.

Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.