Middlesex County, New Jersey Citizenship & Naturalization Lawyer

The last and final step in the immigration process, for many, is becoming a naturalized citizen. If you believe you’re ready to become one yourself, read on and contact a skilled New Jersey citizenship & naturalization lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC today to learn more about the process, what it means for you, and how our legal team can help.

Citizenship & Naturalization Lawyer | Helping You Become a Naturalized Citizen

We pride ourselves on helping individuals officially become United States citizens. For many, it’s a sigh of relief that opens up a world of opportunity. If you’re looking to become a U.S. citizen, our New Jersey immigration lawyer is here to help.

What is Naturalization?

Naturalization is a process by which Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR) are granted citizenship of the U.S. Form N-400 must be filed with the USCIS. Not all LPRs are allowed to naturalize. There are certain requirements, which are as follows:

  • The person must be at least 18 years of age and should have been an LPR and resided in the U.S. for at least five years prior to filing the application. If married to a U.S. citizen, then the residence requirement is only three years, provided the applicant is cohabiting with the same person for the last three years.
  • The applicant must have been physically present for at least half of the five/three years in the U.S.
  • The applicant must be able to provide a good moral character.
  • The applicant must be fluent in English and must have knowledge and understanding of basic history and forms of government in the U.S. The applicant may be exempt from the test for the English language if the applicant’s age is 50 years or older at the time of filing and have lived as a permanent resident for 20 years (commonly referred to as the “50/20” exception) or the applicant’s age is 55 years or older at the time of filing and has lived as a permanent resident for 15 years (commonly referred to as the “55/15” exception). The applicant will still have to give the test for civics in the native language. The applicant may be eligible for an exception to the English and civics tests if the applicant has a physical or developmental disability or a mental impairment.
  • Applicant must show attachment to the U.S. Constitution.

You should note, however, that U.S. citizenship comes with certain responsibilities. Anyone who wishes to naturalize must take the Oath of Allegiance. Accordingly, the applicant must promise to swear allegiance and serve the U.S. and give up allegiance to other countries.

Derivative Citizenship

If you were born abroad but your parents are U.S. citizens, then most probably you can apply to be a U.S. citizen. If only one of your parents was a U.S. citizen at the time then maybe either you “acquired” U.S. citizenship at birth through a parent, or you “derived” U.S. citizenship as a minor through your parent(s). If the child is born outside the U.S. but one of the parents naturalizes and the child is residing with that parent in the U.S. and is unmarried and below 18 years of age, then the child may apply for his citizenship by filing Form N-600.

If the child resides outside the U.S. or the child has been adopted by a U.S. citizen parent, then Section 322 of the Immigration and Nationality Act will be applicable. Form N-600K must be filed at the U.S. Consulate/Embassy. Proof of the child’s parent’s citizenship and is physically present in the U.S. The child must be below 18 years of age and in the legal and physical custody of the applicant.

Contact a Citizenship & Naturalization Lawyer Today

If you need a citizenship & naturalization lawyer you can trust, you’re in the right place. Contact the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC today to schedule your initial consultation with our firm.

Read Our
Recent Blogs
How can I sponsor a family member for immigration?

If you're looking to sponsor a family member for immigration, read this & contact us to learn how we can help guide…

Read more
What are the requirements for obtaining a visa through the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)?

If you are the victim of domestic abuse, read this to learn how we can help you obtain a visa through the…

Read more
How can I bring my adopted child to the United States?

If you want to bring an adopted child to the U.S., read this & contact our firm to learn how we can…

Read more
Read More Blogs