Middlesex, New Jersey Domestic Violence Lawyer

When a romantic partner or another individual with whom you share a domestic relationship behaves violently and causes you to feel unsafe in your own home, it’s time to get help. Please continue reading and contact a domestic violence lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC today to learn more about domestic violence cases in NJ, what your options are, and how our legal team can help.

Domestic Violence Lawyer | Serving Clients in New York & New Jersey

We believe that anyone who’s been made a victim of domestic violence deserves a steadfast legal advocate who can expedite the process and get them to safety as soon as possible. Our firm is here for all those who’ve been made victims of domestic violence, and we’re prepared to help you, too.

Domestic Violence in New Jersey

Domestic violence is loosely described as when a significant other (or ex-partner) commits an act of physical, emotional, sexual, or economic abuse against the person with whom they share a domestic relationship. Domestic violence can occur between a couple of any age, gender, or sexual orientation. Here in New Jersey, victims of domestic violence are protected under the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act of 1991. This Act gives victims of domestic violence the right to pursue both civil and criminal recourse against the abuser.

What to Do

To start, if you are a victim of domestic violence and believe you are in imminent danger, the first thing you should do is call the police. They can get you to safety and will likely immediately arrest the abuser and have a temporary restraining order placed against him or her. That said, you can also go to your local courthouse and request a temporary restraining order against the abuser. Once you do, you will then attend a hearing shortly after (typically within 10 days) wherein the court will determine whether the restraining order should be made permanent. As long as you can prove the abuse truly occurred, you should get a Final Restraining Order against the abuser, thereby preventing them from coming into contact with you or your family.

Changes to Child Custody

If you are already divorced or separated from the abuser and the two of you share a child, you may request a modification to your custody agreement on the grounds that your ex poses a risk to your child and is unfit to raise them. If the act of violence provoked your divorce, courts will almost certainly consider the act of violence when determining your custody agreement, and if they believe your ex poses a danger to your child, they’ll likely give you custody.

Contact a Domestic Violence Lawyer Today

The bottom line is that if you are a victim of domestic violence, you deserve a compassionate and knowledgeable legal advocate who can work to get you to safety as soon as possible. Fortunately, you’ve found that legal advocate right here at the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC. Our firm is here to help you, every step of the way. Contact us today.

Read Our
Recent Blogs
What is the Latest Initiative to Ensure That Immigrant Families Stay Together?

The Biden-Harris Administration has recently announced a new action to keep families together. Please read on to learn more.

Read more
Can Your U.S. Citizenship Be Revoked?

While rare, it's possible for the government to revoke your U.S. citizenship if you are a naturalized citizen. Read on to learn…

Read more
What Should I Know About the EB-3 Visa?

If you're seeking employment in the U.S., read this to determine whether you meet the qualifications for an EB-3 visa.

Read more
Read More Blogs
Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.