What Are the Steps of Filing for a Relative’s Visa?


The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) places a huge importance on family ties. This is primarily because family bonds offer support and security. Therefore, if you’re a U.S. citizen, you may be able to help your relative become a lawful permanent resident (LPR). To do so, you must sponsor your relative and be able to demonstrate that you have sufficient income to support them once they arrive in the U.S. Please continue reading to learn the steps for filing for a relative’s visa and how a reliable ​​Middlesex County, New Jersey Family Immigration Lawyer can help you navigate this complex legal process today. 

How Can I Help My Relative Become a U.S. Permanent Resident?

To assist your eligible relatives to immigrate to the U.S. and obtain a green card, you must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative. This form will establish the family relationship between you and your relative. It’s crucial to understand that the filing or approval of this petition doesn’t provide your relative with any immigration status or benefit. Generally, once USCIS approves the petition, your relative may apply to become an LPR.

If your relative is already in the U.S. If you’re relative is already within the U.S. and a visa is available, they may be eligible to receive a green card by filing Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence, or Adjust Status. Depending on your relationship with your relative, they may have to wait until a visa number becomes available before they can apply for a visa or adjust their status. Furthermore, if your relative is already within the U.S. but is not eligible to obtain a green card by filing Form I-485,  they may apply for an immigrant visa with the U.S. Department of State at the U.S. embassy or consulate in their home country.

What Relatives Can I Petition for?

A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older can sponsor only the following types of relatives for a green card:

  • A husband or wife
  • Children, married or unmarried
  • Parents
  • Siblings (brothers or sisters)

However, when the petition is submitted, you must provide evidence that proves you have a qualifying relationship. It’s crucial to note that sponsoring your sibling is not limited to biological siblings but also siblings related through adoption or a step-parent.

If you’re a U.S. citizen looking to sponsor a relative for a green card, please don’t hesitate to contact a trusted New Jersey immigration lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC, who can help guide you through each phase of this complex legal process. We are prepared to help you keep your family together.


Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.