What are the different types of U.S. work visas?


Many foreign nationals aspire to obtain residence and employment in the United States. Fortunately, legal pathways are available for noncitizens to temporarily or permanently work in the U.S. There are several different work visa options. Please continue reading to learn about the different types of employment-based visas and how a skilled Middlesex County, New Jersey, Business Immigration Lawyer can help you today. 

What are the different kinds of temporary work visas?

Perhaps one of the most common ways to work temporarily in the United States as a nonimmigrant is for a prospective employer to file a petition with USCIS on your behalf for an H-1B visa. If you possess the right combination of skills, education, and work experience, you may be able to obtain this type of temporary work visa for specialty occupations. Typically, the roles require a bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience. To be eligible, you must possess specialized knowledge in a particular field, such as math, science, education, art, architecture, engineering, medicine, and more. However, it’s imperative to note that there is an annual cap limiting how many visas can be issued each year, as these work visas are in high demand. H-2A and H-2B are for seasonal, temporary workers in an agricultural occupation.

I visas are for any eligible foreign press member, including reporters, film crews, editors, and similar occupations representing foreign information media. L-1 visa is a temporary nonimmigrant visa that allows companies to relocate foreign-qualified employees. It will enable transferring within a company where they already work, either at the executive or management level or through specialized expertise. The O visa is reserved for individuals with extraordinary abilities or achievements across industries like the sciences, arts, business, education, or athletics. They are missed for a given event, expiring after three years.

P visas are reserved for individuals who excel in performance, athletic, or artistic endeavors and those who accompany these performers. R visas are for nonimmigrant religious workers who are members of a religious denomination that holds official non-profit status in the U.S. Furthermore, TN NAFTA permits Canadian and Mexican citizens for business activities under the North American Free Trade Agreement. As you can see, there are numerous types of temporary work visas.

What are the different kinds of permanent employment-based visas?

Foreign nationals with the right job skills and their spouses and children can apply for an employment-based green card. There are five different types of employment-based visas:

  • First Preference: EB-1 covers those with extraordinary ability.
  • Second Preference: EB-2 covers professionals with advanced degrees or equivalent work experience.
  • Third Preference: EB-3 covers professionals with a bachelor’s degree, skilled workers, or an “other worker in short supply.”
  • Fourth Preference: EB-4 covers those who are religious workers.
  • Fifth Preference: EB-5 covers the Immigrant Investor Program, those who invest $500,000 and $1 million in a U.S. business and take an active role.

As you can see, five primary types of EB visas exist. They can all lead to permanent resident status. If you’re interested in working in the U.S., please don’t hesitate to contact a reliable lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC, who can help guide you through this complex legal process to obtain a temporary or permanent work visa.




Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.