How can I sponsor a family member for immigration?

family gathering

If you’re a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, you may be fortunate enough to sponsor a family member for a Permanent Resident Card (Green Card) to reside and work in the U.S. permanently. However, only certain family relationships qualify for permanent residence through this process. If you’re looking to sponsor your family member, please don’t hesitate to contact a talented Middlesex County, New Jersey, Family Immigration Lawyer who can help you explore the various routes for family-based immigrant visas and guide you through every step of sponsoring a relative for a Permanent Resident Card. 

What are the different categories of people eligible for family immigrant visas?

Fortunately, in the U.S., immigration law values family unity. As a result, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) allows U.S. citizens and permanent residents to file a petition for their relatives to live in the U.S. permanently. Therefore, you can sponsor eligible family members to become lawful permanent residents if you’re a U.S. citizen. The eligibility requirements for family preference categories depend on the specific family relationship a relative has with a U.S. citizen:

  • First preference (F1): Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. citizens over 21.
  • Second preference (F2A): Spouses and children of Permanent Residents who are unmarried and under the age of 21.
  • Second preference (F2B): Unmarried sons and daughters of Permanent Residents who are 21 years of age or older.
  • Third preference (F3): Married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens.
  • Fourth preference (F4): Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens (if the petitioner is 21 or older).

The first step to sponsoring your relative to become a permanent resident is applying for a family-based immigrant visa. After you’ve determined whether your relative is eligible to obtain a Permanent Resident Card through sponsorship, you will have to submit Form I-130, Petition for Ailen Relative, and Form I-485 Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status if they are already residing in the U.S. If you can establish a relationship between you and your relative that qualifies them to immigrate to the U.S., it is likely USCIS will approve your Form I-130. Once the petition is approved, the relative can apply for a Green Card. If your relative currently resides outside the U.S., they must become a permanent resident through consular processing.

If you’re interested in sponsoring your relative for a Permanent Resident Card, it is in your best interest to get in touch with one of our adept lawyers from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC, who can help you determine whether your relative meets the eligibility requirements for this legal pathway to permanent resident Status in the U.S. Our firm is prepared to help you keep your family together.



Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.