We represent you with a VISION
Beyond your LEGAL NEEDS

J-1 visa holders can work only for their program sponsors. However, in some situations, J-1 visa holders may work for non-sponsor employers provided they meet eligibility requirements, which vary depending on the applicable category. A research scholar on J-1 visa is eligible to work in a closely related research program for a maximum duration of six months provided the program is approved by the original sponsor.

Usually employment is restricted to on campus if pursuant to scholarship, fellowship or assistantship or off-campus if it is a summer work/travel exchange program or if it is necessary because of serious, urgent, and unforeseen economic circumstances that have arisen since acquiring J-1 status. Employment cannot exceed 20 hours per week except during school breaks. J-1 visa holder must continue in full time course even after employment.

We, at the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC can help you in applying for change of status/ extension/adjustment of status to a different visa. To schedule your appointment contact us at 201-518-6642201-518-6642 (Jersey City Office), 732-750-1269732-750-1269 (Woodbridge Office). You can also email us at