How do I extend or renew my U.S. work visa?

U.S. work visa

When an individual seeks employment in the U.S. as a nonimmigrant they must obtain a U.S. work visa. A U.S. work visa allows individuals seeking better employment opportunities to work in the U.S. for a fixed period. If eligible, nonimmigrants can lawfully work in the U.S. until their visa expires. When that visa expires, they can request to have their visa extended during their authorized period of stay. If you want to extend or renew your U.S. work visa, contact an adept New Jersey Immigration Lawyer who can help ensure you file a request to have your work visa extended within the right timeframe to avoid deportation.

How can I extend my U.S. work visa?

If you want to remain in the U.S. for employment reasons, you can extend or renew your work visa. Nonimmigrants whose U.S. work visa expires are granted an authorized period of stay. An authorized period of stay allows aliens to stay in the U.S. for a fixed period. It is imperative to file a request before your authorized period of stay expires. If you fail to file before it expires, you could face significant consequences such as being barred from ever returning to the U.S. or being deported. It is crucial to know when your authorized period of stay expires to ensure you have enough time to request an extension or renewal of your visa. However, to extend your U.S. work visa, you must meet the following eligibility criteria:

  • With a nonimmigrant visa, you were lawfully admitted to the U.S.
  • Your non-immigrant visa status must be valid.
  • You must not have committed any crimes.
  • You have not violated the conditions of your visa.
  • Your passport must be valid and remain valid while you work in the U.S.

If you meet these requirements, you may be eligible to have your U.S. work visa extended. Additionally, nonimmigrants must apply by filing the proper forms and documentation. It is imperative to note that your country of nationality may require that you apply for a new visa with them as well as applying with the U.S. To extend your U.S. work visa, you must submit the Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status Form I-539. Spouses and unmarried children under the age of 21 can be included in this form to remain in the U.S. with you. You must submit filing fees with Form I-539. Additionally, you must provide all supporting documentation.

If you are currently working under a U.S. work visa and want to extend it to remain working in the United States, please don’t hesitate to contact one of our trusted and determined team members. Our firm can help you submit the proper forms to have your U.S. work visa extended.

Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.