We represent you with a VISION
Beyond your LEGAL NEEDS

The M-1 visa is a type of student visa to pursue vocational, non-academic program (other than a language training program) in an established approved institution in the United States.

Like F-1 visa, the prospective student must show a permanent residence in a foreign country (preferably in home country) and should be willing to leave the U.S. at the end of the program.

M-1 visa is valid only for a year and extensions may be granted for a total of three years. Students must be enrolled in a full-time course, meaning at least 12 semester or quarter classes. Students may not join part-time courses unless medical reasons are shown and that to only for six months. They may not change schools after the first six months. This visa does not allow students to work during the course of study. However, student may receive Optional Practical Training at the end of their course up to a maximum of six months.

Examples of vocational program are flight classes, cooking classes, mechanical studies, hygienist and other similar pursuits.

Spouses and unmarried children below the age of 21 may apply for M-2 visa so as to stay with the M-1 visa holder.

We, at the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC can help you in applying for change of status/extension/adjustment of status to a different visa. To schedule your appointment contact us at 201-518-6642201-518-6642 (Jersey City Office), 732-750-1269732-750-1269 (Woodbridge Office). You can also email us at