How Do I Know if I Will Qualify for a Visitor Visa?

Many people from around the world would like to temporarily stay in the United States, whether for business or pleasure. However, to do so, you’ll need to first get a visitor visa. Read on & contact a seasoned New Jersey immigration lawyer from the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC to learn more about these visas and whether you may qualify for one. Here are some of the questions you may have:

What are some common visitor visa examples?

There are two primary grounds on which a person may be granted a visitor visa, and they are either business or tourism. A business B-1 visa is for those looking to stay in the U.S. temporarily for business, and a tourism B-2 visa is for those simply looking to visit the U.S. to see sights or visit friends/family.

How do I apply?

To apply, you can do so online through the Nonimmigrant Visa Application, Form DS-160. Once you do, you will upload your photo and print the application form confirmation page to bring to your interview with a consular officer at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live.

What documentation will I need?

As you prepare for your interview, you’ll need to gather a wide range of information and pay certain fees. To start, you’ll have to pay the non-refundable visa application fee. From there, you’ll need to obtain a passport valid for travel to the U.S., and you’ll also have to bring an application fee payment receipt, and photo identification. In some cases, you may also need to prove the purpose of your trip, proof that you intend to leave the United States after your purpose is completed, and your capability of paying all expenses associated with your trip to the United States.

Once you attend your interview, the consular officer will determine whether you’re qualified to receive the visitor visa. You’ll likely have to submit ink-free, digital fingerprints. As long as you’re determined eligible for the visitor visa, you should receive clearance to enter the United States for a specified period of time. That said, if you would like to extend your stay in the U.S., in certain cases, you may do so, but you will have to request an extension on your stay before the initial timeframe expires.

If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to speak with a knowledgeable Middlesex County, New Jersey business immigration lawyer from our firm. We are here to help you, every step of the way.


Whether you’re facing a legal matter concerning immigration, family law, criminal law, or otherwise, our firm is here to help. Contact the Law Offices of Aditya Surti, LLC today.

Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.