How can I keep my green card?

green card

Acquiring a green card in the U.S. can be a stressful and overwhelming process. It can take a long time to obtain a green card as there are many requirements immigrants must meet to be eligible. It can be an emotionally exhausting experience. With that being said, individuals who are lucky enough to obtain this type of permanent residency must do everything in their power to keep it. Individuals may not realize that their permanent resident card could easily be taken away if there is reasonable cause. Oftentimes the two most common reasons individuals run into trouble are by leaving the U.S. for extended periods and by violating the law. If you need help keeping your green card and avoiding deportation, contact a determined and trusted Middlesex County, New Jersey Green Card Lawyer who can fight on your behalf to keep you in the country.

What happens to my green card if I leave the country for an extended period?

One of the most common ways individuals lose their green card is by leaving the country for an extended period. If they leave the U.S. for more than a year an individual will likely have trouble re-entering the U.S. However, there are no single rules dictating how long an individual can leave the country. If an individual knows they will be out of the country for at least a year, they should apply for the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIC). This can help an individual reenter the U.S. when they have been out of the country for an extended period. This type of reentry permit can help individuals keep their green cards and stay out of the country for two years. This type of entry document helps individuals at the border enter the U.S. Individuals should avoid leaving the U.S. for more than a year if they are not approved for this type of reentry permit. Additionally, individuals should enter the U.S. every six months t avoid any conflict later on.

What will happen if I violate the law?

If a green card holder violates any U.S. laws, they risk losing their green card. Whether an individual is charged with a civil or a criminal offense, they may face deportation. Civil offenses can cause a person to be deported as these offenses typically have moral components. The severity of the crime does not matter, as any violation of the law may cost an individual their green card. It is extremely important for individuals charged with a criminal offense to contact an experienced immigration lawyer who can help them face these charges and protect their residency in the U.S.

If you are a green card holder and have left the country for an extended period or violated the law, reach out to one of our qualified team members. We can fight on your behalf to the best of our abilities to keep deportation off the table.


Contact Us
We’re Ready to Hear From You
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.